Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I Am A Norwegian No Longer.... err, I mean virgin...


Well, today I taught my first class as a substitute. Subbing is harder than you would think. It was an 8th grade computer science class. The day went well enough - no one died or got sent to the office, and I didn't get flustered or freak when things didn't go smoothly, like when I lost the definitions web page I was using during the vocabulary exercise. The students didn't throw spit balls at me or anything. But, more than once, I felt very much out of my element. I definitely felt the pressure and uncertainty one feels when trying something really important for the first time, hoping they didn't screw anything up. I'm not ready to write about it yet as I'm still analyzing the experience, trying to figure out what I did right and what I need to improve on. I'm not freaked out over the experience too much, but I know I was very, very green. When I'm done absorbing the experience, I'll tell you all about the experience of the first time subbing job. But right now, I'd rather go have a beer, watch some tube, and relax for a spell. I must say, it was quite an experience.

No comments: